Last week, it was my birthday and I entered my 29th year on the planet feeling at my most calm, content and well, like myself. I was sitting eating a completely bonkers-but-brilliant dessert with Gary when it hit me – I felt truly smitten with life. Getting older each year is something that strikes horror into the heart of some, but considering that we have these years to learn, to grow and become at ease with ourselves, I’d say it’s pretty awesome. It sounds corny, but with each year we gain more and more experience and I couldn’t help but think about the crazy, funny and important things that I know at 29.
I also thought, maybe it’s knowing these things that makes me feel confident in myself and happy with my world. They certainly aren’t secrets, and some of them I am sure you will already know yourself (in fact, I am certain) - but today, I’d love to share 29 life lessons that have helped shape my positive outlook and attitude. Some are serious, some are not-so-serious! Enjoy…
1. Comfort zones are nice to visit, but don’t spend all your time there or you’ll miss out!
2. Laugh as often as you can. Try to find humour in the little things, you’ll be glad that you did.
3. Personal style is whatever you want it to be – so go with your gut, you gorgeous thing!
4. There’s no such thing as impossible, give it your best shot and see what you can achieve today (trust me on this one!)
5. Travelling is good for the soul…
6. …but sometimes, downtime in your own pad can be just as precious!
7. Never let anyone make you feel like you are less than they are. You’re YOU, and that’s amazing.
8. Be curious, learning something new every day never really stops – from fun facts to unlocking a new skill!
9. Your friends will love you and celebrate your quirks, and so should you!
10. Be kind, and considerate – to yourself and to others, too.
11. Life is too short to be hateful. Directing negative feelings towards others never gets you anywhere
12. Sometimes all you really need to do is put on your favourite song and DANCE!
13. Embrace your body (even the lumpy bits!), and look after it. You only get one, after all!
14. Spend time outdoors, whether it’s at the park, the beach or up a mountain!
15. Find beauty in the unexpected by looking at things differently.
16. At times, you’ll need to be brave. It is scary, but you’ll surprise yourself!
17. Live life in technicolour, as if it’s all one big parade.
18. Think about what you’re passionate about. Got it? Good. Now, go after it!
19. If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a goddamn door.
20. Wear something that makes you feel like an utter goddess on a regular basis
21. Be adventurous!
22. Remember that sometimes things will not go to plan, and that’s OK. It’s all part of the journey!
23. Treasure that rag-tag bunch of friends you have
24. Use imagination and creative spirit whenever you can
25. Stand up for what you believe in, always.
26. Soulmates are real.
27. Glitter makes everything better.
28. Whatever it is, yes, you can!
29. Love yourself, and the world around you. It’s that simple.
Phew! There you have it, 29 little lessons and mantras that have helped me get to where I am today. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading them as much as I’ve enjoyed sharing them! Have you recognised any that are particularly important to you, or do you have any that you’d like to add to the list? Let me know!
With love, life and laughter,
Miss West End Girl x